Vacation is an activity that is highly coveted by everyone. It is a spiritual need that needs to be done even if only periodically. Going on vacation will refresh our mind to get rid of stress, after that we will feel brand new. Of course, there are many choices of destination.
Each person has their own style. Some may like to have a vacation in natural attractions, while others will prefer a vacation in crowded places such as tourist rides, enjoying the natural scenery from a star hotels, or go for trips to other countries and enjoy shopping and culinary tours in the country.
Among those choices in determining holiday destinations, one of the most popular is nature tourism. Nature tourism is indeed high in demand because it offers a fresh and very natural sensation. Traveling in nature will be a good option in refreshing our minds and momentarily forget about various matters. Many natural tourist destinations include coastal ecosystems, underwater marine tourism, mountains, waterfalls, lakes, forests, and so on.
Those who has never been to a waterfall should visit it one day . It is a geological formation of water flows that flow through a rock formation that experiences various types of erosion and falls from a certain height. In short, a waterfall is a formation of water flow that falls from a certain height because it is a water trajectory.
Waterfalls are naturally formed, but there are some that are deliberately made by humans. For example, in the park, we often see ornaments of water flowing down. That is a replica of a waterfall made by humans.
Then, how exactly is the process of forming a waterfall?
Like other natural features that have an origin, the waterfall is also the same. Basically, a waterfall is a river or other body of water that falls from rocky cliffs to the plunge pool below. This falling water movement actually follows the natural law of water which flows from a high place to a lower place. Then why is there a cliff? This cliff was formed because of Earth’s geological events. Well, that is why we find more waterfalls in mountainous areas or highlands.
The process of forming a waterfall is inseparable from the geological process concerned with rocks and also the flowing river. Systematically, the process of forming a waterfall is as follows:
- There are differences in rock layers when viewed from the level of resistance to water erosion. The rocks are hard rock and soft rock.
- Water bodies and rivers flow through the mountain slopes, at the same time the water erodes the existing rock layers. Water will erode more types of soft rock than hard rock. This will result in the formation of a plunge pool as the deepest area.
- The overhang or protruding hard rock layer will collapse because it is weakened by erosion and weathering and pulled down by gravity.
- In a certain period of time, the river water that descends to the valley will then become a waterfall that will increasingly be higher. Besides that, the plunge pool will also get deeper and deeper due to continuous rock erosion. The collapsed stone was then used as an erosion tool to continue to erode the depth of the waterfall pool. That is the reason why the longer the waterfall looks higher.
Then, where exactly is the spring from the waterfall?
- Mountain spring;
- Lake, etc.
Those are some sources of springs that fill the flow of rivers or bodies of water which will eventually become waterfalls. The waterfall has many benefits. Regarding the benefits of waterfalls, we will discuss below.
The benefits generated by the waterfall are not only for human health but also for the means of entertainment and the economy of the community. The benefits of the waterfall are as follows:
- Refresh Human’s Mind and Body
One of the benefits of a waterfall is that it can refresh the body and mind. We will feel this when we are near the waterfall. A super large splash of water will refresh not only the body but also our mind.
- As A Means of Recreation
The most common of waterfalls is its benefits as a means of recreation or tourism. Many people are captivated by the natural beauty around the waterfall so they are willing to find it even in the middle of the forest.
- Improve the Economy of the Community
The waterfall that has been opened as a place of tourism will certainly bring economic benefits for the people who manage it and those around it.
- Blood Circulation
The waterfall can ease the flow of blood circulation when we bathe beneath it. But keep in mind that we must be careful when choosing a shower, which should not be too great.
- Relax the Tense Muscles
In addition to blood circulation, the waterfall can also relax tense muscles especially if the points that are watered are the right point.
- Source of Irrigation
Waterfalls are also widely used as sources of irrigation both in agriculture or rice fields or plantations or even fisheries.
- The Differences Between Cyclones, Tornadoes, Puting Beliung, and Water Spouts
- Factors Affecting Weather and Climate Conditions
- Effects of Weather and Climate on Life
- 9 Components of the Hydrological Cycle and their Descriptions
- 3 Types of Water Cycle and the Descriptions
Those are some of the benefits of waterfalls that can be felt by humans. Then, what are the areas that have waterfalls in Indonesia? Some of the waterfalls that we can meet in Indonesia include the following:
- Dua Warna Waterfall in North Sumatra
- Madakaripura Waterfall in Probolinggo
- Sri Gethuk Waterfall in Yogyakarta
- Moramo Waterfall in Southeast Sulawesi
- Grojogan Sewu waterfall in Karanganyar