10 Main Causes of Ocean Tides – Effects
Ocean tides are the process on the rise and fall from a huge body of water in the ocean. The ocean tides are very important part of maintaining the natural state of the ocean. The most that we hear as the cause for ocean tides is the moon. However, are there more factors affecting ocean tides? Indeed there are. Below are the 10 Main Causes of Ocean Tides. There are so many more causes besides the gravity between the moon and the earth even though that is the largest cause of ocean tides. Continue reading to find out the causes of ocean tides.
1. Gravity Pull Between the Sun and the Earth
The sun has a bigger size than the moon. Approximately, it is 27 million times larger. However, the sun can only manage around 46% of causing the tide on the oceans. The reason for that is because the sun is further away from the Earth.
2. Gravity Pull Between the Moon and the Earth
The moon has a major role in controlling the tides in the ocean. The moon has a bigger effect than the sun because it is closer to the earth. The pull caused by the moon is two times stronger than what the sun can generate.
3. The Phases of the Moon
The phases of the moon are important aspect to the kinds of tides it can cause in the ocean. During the New Moon phase, the high tide becomes very high. On the other hand, the low tide becomes extremely low. The same thing happens during a Full Moon. In these moon phases, the sun and the moon aligns with the Earth causing stronger gravitational forces.
Inertia is responsible to keep a moving object to continue moving such as the tides in the ocean. When the moon goes around the Earth, the Earth moves a little bit too which creates a centrifugal force. This force causes the tide to bulge in the opposite direction of the moon.
5. Local Geography
The local geography of a place can cause ocean tides as well. Moreover, it affects the strenght of the ocean tide. An example of this is the tide located in Maine, Canada. The coast has the largest tides in the whole world due to the funnel shape of the location. The tide can get as high as 15 meters.
Storms can also create ocean tides. They affect the way the ocean tides behave. Some strong types of ocean storms are able to decrease or increase the level of the ocean tides. Tides that rise during a storm is called a storm tide which also contributes to storm surges.
Winds play a role in affecting ocean tides too. Some strong winds can cause the water to move back along the coastlines. That will cause a low tide. Some winds, however, can cause water to come into into the coastlines. The tide will become higher than usual when that happens.
8. Weather Pressure
Another cause of ocean tides is weather pressure. A weather pressure can cause both low and high tides in the ocean. An increase in the weather pressure may cause a really low tide. Meanwhile, a low pressure in the weather can cause the tides to become high.
9. Distance Between Continents
The distance between continents can actually dictate the ocean tides. The reason for that is because of the depth between the continents. When there are continents closer to each other, there could be a significant differences in the level of the tides with the continents that are further apart.
10. Size of Continents
Sizes of the different continents on Earth also affect ocean tides. The varying shapes and sizes determine the condition of the tides. Continents that are large have a higher chance of experiencing high level of ocean tide. Meanwhile, small continents or small islands may have lower level of ocean tide.
The Effects of Ocean Tides
Knowing the causes of the ocean tides is a good thing because tides play a role in keeping the natural ecosystem of the ocean healthy. Now we should learn about the effects of ocean tides which you can start reading below:
- Carry Ocean Materials: Ocean tides carry many important ocean materials to the shorelines. During the high tide, materials such as shells, sands and sediments are carried inside the tide. There might even be different types of ocean stones. All of it will settle down once the low tide comes.
- Renewable Energy: In certain region with good level of high tides and low tides, renewable source of energy is possible. The tides are used to generate power and electricity. This creates a greener lifestyle to the region and also protects the environment from harmful source of energy.
- Helps Fishermen: Fishermen highly relies on ocean tides for fishing. By paying close attention to the ocean tides, fishermen can earn more fish which will help their economic situation.
- Circulate Healthy Water: Ocean tides are helpful in circulating the ocean water. Possible lingering pollutants in the water can reduce when the tides carry out their function.
- Navigating Ships: Learning about the ocean tides is so important as they can affect the people navigating ships in the ocean. People rely on high tide when navigating their ships as to avoid hitting low grounds of the ocean.
- Providing Food: Ocean tides carry small creatures along with them. Other marine creatures depend on the ocean tides for their feeding diet.
- Maintain Weather: Ocean tides mix the ocean water to maintain the balance of the weather on Earth. They affect the climate that we are living in now. They are similar to the impacts of ocean currents on climate.
Natural forms and conditions mostly affect the high and the low tides. Even so, ocean tides give a useful effect to both human lives and marine creatures. It is always important to keep the ocean healthy so the ocean tides can maximise their effects too.