The difference in the shape of the Earth is spread in various places in the world, starting from the high and low surface types of land to the shape of the coastal ecosystem and also the sea. So, from that, we see different forms of islands on the map. There are islands that stand out into the ocean and there are also oceans jutting inland. This can occur naturally over time, either through natural processes or because of human intervention. The land that stands out into the ocean is often referred to a cape. While for the oceans that jut into the land, it is often called the bay. These two terms are very different. Aside from these two terms, there are also other terms that are not far from the two, namely the peninsula. Regarding what the peninsula is, we will discuss further in this article.
Peninsula is a term that we often hear. Usually, this peninsula is a term for a place or region of a country. This is true because the peninsula itself is a place that can be inhabited by residents. The peninsula is a geographical formation in the form of an extension of the land jutting into the ocean flanked by 3 sides of the ocean. The land that juts into the ocean is wide enough so that it can be used as a place to live. In other words, the peninsula is a wide cape. While the peninsula whose size is more widely referred to as the peninsula, for example, Jazirah, the land in the Middle East.
We already know the meaning of the peninsula. From the characteristics above, we can pull the essence of the characteristics of the peninsula. Some characteristics of the peninsula include the following:
- An extension of the mainland body jutting into the middle of the sea: The main characteristic of the peninsula is that it is part of the land that juts into the sea. This also includes if the land is almost broken because there is a narrow land that is flanked by the ocean.
- Flanked by oceans on all three sides: Like a promontory, the peninsula is also a land flanked by the sea on its side while the other side blends with the wider land.
- It is a wide land: Peninsula is a wide area, so it can be used as a place of settlement from the community.
- Lots of wind: The peninsula is also covered with lots of wind. This is because the location of the peninsula is flanked by the ocean on all three sides. We know that the ocean itself blows strong winds, so this wind also reaches the peninsula. The edge of the peninsula blows more than in the middle.
- Weather is greatly affected by land winds and sea breezes: The peninsula is also heavily affected by the wind, especially land winds and sea breezes. One of them is the condition of the waves from the ocean that flank the three sides of the peninsula.
- Rainfall is quite high: We know that the hydrological cycle states that the process of rain is caused by seawater which evaporates because it is illuminated by sunlight. Therefore, the peninsula has a fairly high rainfall rate. Water vapor from the evaporation of seawater will be blown by the wind towards the mainland of the peninsula and will be dropped there.
- It is a fairly wide land: Peninsula is also a land that is wide enough so that it can be used as a place of settlement.
Those are some of the characteristics possessed by the peninsula. The characteristics above indicate that the peninsula can have many functions. The function of the peninsula will be explained below. As a wide land and flanked by waters, this peninsula must have various functions that can be utilized by humans in their daily lives. What are the benefits of a peninsula? Some of the benefits of the peninsula include the following:
- As a place of human habitation: The benefit of a peninsula which is undoubtedly its existence can be a place of residence for humans.
- As an area suitable for fishponds: The peninsula area is also an area suitable for the location of fish ponds. This is because it is located near the beach. Suitable ponds are built in the peninsula, especially for fish that live in salt water. (Also read: 20 Ways to Stop Overfishing – Solutions).
- As land for salt fields: Aside from being used as a pond, the peninsula area is also suitable for use as a salt-making place. This is because seawater as a raw material for making salt is very easy to obtain.
- As a source of livelihood: The part of the sea directly adjacent to the peninsula is usually richer in fish and other marine biotas. Therefore, this condition can be used as a livelihood, which is for fishermen to catch fish or look for other marine animals.
- As a tourist place: The location of a beautiful peninsula with beach floats on three sides is very potent as a tourist spot. In addition, this area also has a lot of wind so that it feels cooler than the lowlands far from the sea. (Also read: Monsoon Wind: Definition, Process, Type, and Impact).
- Helps minimize flooding caused by seawater: The existence of a peninsula also has one function which is minimizing the occurrence of flooding caused by the overflow of sea water.
- Used as a port: One of the functions of the peninsula is that this area is often used as a port because of its easy access to the sea.
- Entrance or main access to international or inter-country trade: Because many ports are built on the peninsula, these ports become then the entry point for international trade routes.
Those are some of the functions or benefits of the peninsula which is a prominent area in the ocean. There are a lot of peninsulas in the world. Some of the peninsulas are also in Indonesian territory. As for some of the peninsulas in the world, they include:
- Arabian Peninsula
- Deccan Peninsula in India
- Indochina Peninsula
Those are the information that we can convey about the peninsula. Hopefully, it may be useful for all of us. (Also read: Exclusive Economic Zone: Definition As Well as the History, Boundaries, Functions, and Activities).